Melody has volunteered and worked with over 25 non-profits over the past 8 years by raising awareness, educating, and fundraising for non-profits that are helping and empowering women, children, animals, and the environment.
SOCIAL JUSTICE & HUMAN RIGHTS (selected)
MISSSEY INC. (Motivating, Inspiring, Supporting, and Serving Sexually Exploited Youth) - 8 years, 2009 - present
• Wish-list Volunteer Leader (June 2010 - June 2011)
• Collected donations and organized fundraising for general hygienic necessities for the victims at MISSSEY.
• 1 year training to work with victims of child exploitation/human trafficking.
• Made an award winning short documentary called “SACEY/SPA” broadcasted part of it on CNN.
• Raised over $2000 donations for MISSSEY.
• Filmed protests and fundraising events for MISSSEY
• Helped wrapping presents and preparing events during holiday seasons every year
• Made awareness in her community and school about exploitation and child trafficking of children in
Oakland/San Francisco Area
MISSSEY is a project based out of Alameda County that was created to respond to the epidemic of the commercial sexual exploitation of children in the San Francisco/Bay Area.
The U.S. Fund for UNICEF supports UNICEF's work, and other efforts in support of the world's children, through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States.
Building Futures with Women and Children - 6 months, 2008-2009
• Filmed and Edited a documentary about BWFC to reach out to women & children under domestic violence
• Raised $300 for BFWC
• Created awareness about Domestic Violence in Alameda County
• Recruited volunteers for BWFC from San Leandro High School
Building Futures' mission is to build communities with underserved women and children where they are safely and supportively housed, free from homelessness and family violence.
LA STOP THE TRAFFIK - 3 years, 2013 -2016
• Organized events throughout the year to stimulate awareness and understanding about the issue, as well as to engage others to take a stand against such breaches in human rights.
• Fundraised for non-profits that help victims of commercial sexual exploitation and labor trafficking.
• Collaborated with other student groups, non-profit organizations and businesses, to raise funds for organizations that directly engage in rescuing victims from the trafficking trade or that help victims to recover and re-establish themselves in the community within a safe environment.
LA Stop the Traffik is a student-run, non-profit, Active Communities Against Trafficking (ACT) group at UCLA, which advocates for an increase in community awareness on the exploitation involved in human-trafficking.
ANIMAL RIGHTS (selected)
Never Cry Wolf Rescue - 1 year, 2009-2010
• Out-Reach Volunteer
• Filmed and edited 2 short documentaries about the wolves.
• Worked closely with the wolves.
• Raised awareness about wolves and wolf hybrids in the United States and online
• Raised $500 to support the wolves.
• "Time to Save the Wolves" documentary won 3 festival awards
• The Alpha wolves accepted Melody as a friend into their wolf pack and allowed her to get close to film.
NCWR&A is a Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation which exists to rescue and nurture wolves and wolf-hybrids that have been abused or abandoned, and to educate the public of the myths and poor treatment of these beautiful animals.
Oakland Zoo - 6 months, 2011
• Observed and photographed 42 different animal species: mammals, primates, birds, reptiles, & amphibians.
• Made an educational documentary about African Pygmy Hedgehogs featured on the zoo website.
• Animal managing, caring, feeding, cleaning, training, and providing enrichment for the animals.
• Completed an animal management course for certification
The Oakland Zoo has been serving the community since 1922 in locations all across Oakland, finally settling in Knowland Park. A center for wildlife conservation.
The Dog Cafe’s mission is to revolutionize dog adoption by reinventing the way people connect with rescues who need homes.
ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY (selected)
Pachamama Alliance is a global community that offers people the chance to learn, connect, engage, travel and cherish life for the purpose of creating a sustainable future that works for all.
The Center for Biological Diversity works to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. By using science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
Camp Reel Stories is a non-profit organization that empowers young women with the skills to create their own media, to view current media critically and thoughtfully, and to aspire to leadership in their field.
The Global Cinematography Institute (GCI) is devoted to education of cinematographers and their extension into the digital and virtual realms.
Melody has also worked, volunteered, or documented with bellow organizations: